There’s nothing that’ll put a damper on a warm Denver day more than getting stung by a wasp or finding a wasp nest on your property, but why are these stinging insects so hard to control?
Unfortunately, wasps are far from easy to keep away from your Denver home. Here’s what local homeowners should know about identifying wasps, how dangerous they are, ways to naturally prevent them, and the safest way to combat wasps with pest control in Denver.
What Do Wasps In Denver Look Like?
Not all wasps look, act, or sting the same way, and that includes the wasps in Denver. Here are the different types of wasps you may encounter on your Denver property and how you can identify them:
- Paper wasps: Growing up to an inch in length, paper wasps may be the most common type of wasp you’ll find in Denver. Paper wasps tend to have brown or black coloring with yellow markings, and they get their name from the nests they build out of paper-like materials. While these wasps may sting if they feel threatened or their nest is in danger, they’re far from the most aggressive type of wasp.
- Mud dauber wasps: Mud daubers can also be identified by their nests, which get built from mud and look like large, mud-colored balls with cylindrical cells. Like paper wasps, this species stings if they have to, but rarely sting unprovoked.
- Yellowjackets: Yellowjackets are the most aggressive wasp out of the three, with thin bodies and distinct yellow markings. They can build their nests in wall cavities or other shelters, but they especially like to create nests in open cavities in the ground.
How Dangerous Are Wasps In Denver?
Wasp stings can happen from time to time, and these stinging insects do have the potential to be dangerous for Denver residents, especially if they’re building nests on your property. Unlike honeybees, which can only sting you one time, the anatomy of a wasp’s stinger allows them to sting you as many times as they want without harm to themselves.
Given how protective they are of their nests, accidentally stumbling on a wasp nest can cause these insects to attack in swarms – which can become dangerous for anyone if you’re unable to get away.
Besides stinging multiple times and attacking in swarms, wasps can also be dangerous or even deadly for anyone who is allergic to their venom. Wasp allergies aren’t uncommon, and if you’re someone who’s allergic, dealing with a wasp nest can put you at greater risk.
Natural Wasp Prevention Tips For Denver Properties
As dangerous as they are, keeping wasps away from your Denver property is crucial. There are some natural ways you can deter these stinging insects, such as:
- Don’t leave any food sources out on your property, like ripe or rotten fruit, food scraps, or overflowing trash cans with food inside.
- Use caulk to seal any tiny cracks and crevices around your home that may be easy entrances for wasps to get inside.
- Fill any open cavities in the ground since this can be a hotspot for yellowjackets to build their nests.
- Make sure you’re not leaving any open doors or windows for wasps to fly inside.
- If you have window or door screens, ensure that there aren’t any tears or rips and replace any broken screens.
- Regularly check for wasp nests around your property, like under eaves, porches, trees, or other wall cavities, but do not try to get rid of nests on your own.
The Safest Form Of Wasp Control In Denver
Whether you’re allergic to wasps or not, dealing with a wasp nest without the right gear and training can quickly turn dangerous or even deadly for even the healthiest of Denver residents. Rather than put yourself at risk, the safest way to combat wasps in Denver is with the professional help from Absolute Pest Control.
Our experienced home pest control professionals can safely and effectively control any wasp issues on your Denver property and help keep these stinging insects permanently off your Denver lawn. If you suspect you’ve got a wasp nest, either active or abandoned, your safest solution is to call in the professionals. Contact us today at Absolute Pest Control to learn more about our wasp control services or schedule an inspection.
I had the pleasure to work with Justin and he was extremely professional and took the time to answer all of my questions. He put me at ease on all the steps he was going to take in order to get my home back to normal. I would recommend him and Absolute Pest Control to my family and friends.